So you’ve decided to become your own boss and become a freelancer/independent contractor. Congratulations!
Here are a few fundamentals for you, the entrepreneur:
– Always remember, you are a walking business. So work it. Look for business opportunities in every situation–they might not always exist but if you aren’t looking for them you’ll never see them. That said, work on being artful in how you get to talking business. Don’t be the person who’s always in-the-face, self-promoting.
– Represent yourself professionally. Don’t be the guy who is remembered for being drunk at the Christmas party.
– Edit yourself on social media. Don’t post something you don’t want your parents to see–chances are prospective employers will not look kindly on these posts either. Think before you post.
– Make sure you are on LinkedIn. It’s the social media of business. It’s a great place to list your credits of where you’ve worked and what you’ve done. Make sure your credits are factual and up to date.
– Business cards still have their place. Always carry a few of them. You never know when they might be needed.
– Have a website if at all possible. It’s a great way to showcase your work and attitude.
Secure Your Invitation To Connected Now
- Electronic musicians, DJs and beat-makers
- Runners and assistants
- Aspiring show hosts and more
- Get job tips on all the best jobs and career opportunities
- Get mentored and find out how to get and keep the best gigs in the music and film industry
- Get to know your favorite artists
- Hear industry success and horror stories from the legends inside the business
- Find out real tips to get hired at your dream job