Q: WHAT IS A COVER LETTER?
A: A cover letter is a document to accompany your resume. This is where you have the opportunity to give prospective employers to see why you are a great fit for the position.
WHAT SHOULD BE IN THE COVER LETTER?
- Your cover letter should be one page.
- You should write a fresh cover letter for every job you apply for. Research the company you’re applying to. Think about how your personality, interests, or ideals align with the company and position. Write your cover letter with this in mind. Your tone should be friendly and professional.
Be sure to include the following in your cover letter:
- Your contact information.
- The job title you are applying for.
- Where you heard about the job opportunity.
- Why you want to work for the company offering the job.
- How you fit with the company’s goals and culture.
- Something unique about you that will benefit the employer.
- What your availability is and how that fits with the employer’s needs.
- Mention that your resume is included in your email.
How to format your cover letter:
- Use traditional fonts.
- Attach your cover letter .pdf to the email you wish to send in response to the job opening.
Why a cover letter is important:
- Not all applicants will submit a cover letter. Doing so can give you an edge.
- This is your opportunity to explain why you want this particular job. This is vital information that can get you asked in to interview.
- Explain the skills, experience and traits that you have that are useful for the job position you are applying for.
- Explain any job gaps you have.
A cover letter should not rehash your resume. Instead, a well written cover letter allows you to expand on your most relevant skills and point out the key pieces of your professional history. The cover letter should establish a solid connection between yourself and the company where you are applying.
Your resume is a factual timeline of your work experience and responsibilities. Your cover letter provides an opportunity for you to include one or two brief anecdotes about challenges and solutions you were involved in during previous jobs.
Your cover letter is sometimes more important than your resume so do the research and take time to craft a well-designed cover letter for every job you seek.
Secure Your Invitation To Connected Now
- Electronic musicians, DJs and beat-makers
- Runners and assistants
- Aspiring show hosts and more
- Get job tips on all the best jobs and career opportunities
- Get mentored and find out how to get and keep the best gigs in the music and film industry
- Get to know your favorite artists
- Hear industry success and horror stories from the legends inside the business
- Find out real tips to get hired at your dream job